#ProtectPrevention: Stop ACA Repeal in the Senate
June 20, 2017
UPDATE: Last week, hundreds of you called your Senators, shared our Facebook posts, and urged your friends and colleagues to take action to protect our healthcare. Thank you. It's making a difference—some key Senators are still wavering and have expressed reservations with the secrecy surrounding the bill's drafting process and the bill itself. That's why we joined other public health leaders to make a call to stop the repeal.
But we need your help to keep the pressure on the Senate between now and the July 4th recess, when Senators be returning to their home districts. There's still time to protect ACA and prevent repeal in the Senate—but we need you to act now. Please continue to call the Senate Switchboard at (202) 224-3121, or click and share our Facebook post to get the word out. See below for more ways to take action.
June 15, 2017
Right now, a small group of Senators are working on their version of a bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act (ACA). They're working in secrecy—keeping the bill's text hidden and avoiding public hearings and the committee process—yet still intend to move forward with a Senate vote before the end of the month.
There's still time to stop this bill in its tracks—but we need you to act now. Call the Senate Switchboard at (202) 224-3121, or click and share our Facebook post to get the word out.
Under the House-passed ACA repeal bill, the American Health Care Act (AHCA,) 23 million Americans are projected to lose their health care coverage. The elderly, the poor, rural Americans, and people with pre-existing conditions will be particularly vulnerable. The bill also threatens basic funding for public health at the local and state levels and would completely eliminate the Prevention and Public Health Fund, our nation's only dedicated federal funding stream that invests in proven strategies to help communities prevent illness and disease. Simply put, any bill to repeal the ACA is a disaster for public health—in both the short and long term.
- Call the Senate Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 to be connected to your Senator's offices (be sure to check our list, below, to see top priority Senate targets). You can also click here to look up your Senators and their contact information. Tell your Senators to vote against the bill, ask them to publicly oppose it now, and talk about the importance of continued investments in public health and prevention. Even if you've called before, now is the time to call again.
- Not in a priority state? Already called your Senators about ACA repeal today? Click here to share our Facebook post so that we can reach every voter in every state—don't forget to tag your friends in priority states to ask them to call.
(find and tag your Facebook friends in Alaska)
- Protect our care. Repealing the ACA would leave millions of Americans without access to quality, affordable insurance. It's not fair to leave the people who are more vulnerable—elderly, poor and rural Americans—to pay huge increases while the wealthy get breaks to save money at their expense.
- Protect public health. The ACA does more than increase health care coverage—it also contributes directly to state and local public health departments and community-based health and safety initiatives, like CDC funding, vaccines, and other critical programs to address and prevent infectious disease and other outbreaks. Without these funds, our nation will be less prepared to tackle illnesses and diseases. As a result, there will be more premature deaths, more preventable disease, and higher health care costs.
- Protect prevention. Part of the ACA, the Prevention and Public Health Fund invests in proven strategies to prevent chronic and infectious diseases. Eliminating this funding stream would lead to an increase in preventable disease and death, and would put the security of our nation at risk.
More ways to take action
- Share our post on Facebook so we can reach every voter in every state. Don't forget to tag your friends in priority states and ask them to call, too.
- Send a tweet: Call now to stop ACA repeal in the Senate! See how with tips from @phidotorg: http://bit.ly/PROTECTPUBLICHEALTH #ProtectPrevention #ProtectOurCare
- Send an email to friends and colleagues, and ask them to call their Senators.
- Read the joint statement from the American Public Health Association, Prevention Institute, Public Health Institute and Trust for America's Health: "The fight to protect public health is more important than ever."
- Sign up for our alerts to stay in the loop about this and other advocacy opportunities to protect public health.