Technology & Telehealth
At the forefront of using technology to transform public health practice, the Public Health Institute builds the evidence base for applying digital innovations to public health, and shows the value of using innovative technology to improve health—from enabling independent living for the aging, to allowing patients to connect remotely with health care providers.
PHI works to deploy new technologies in diverse health and health care settings in order to improve the quality of care and expand access to the underserved, while supporting the adoption of proven technologies by disseminating evaluation results and working with partners to address policy and financing barriers to implementation. PHI is committed to advancing health equity by examining the role of technology in improving the health of vulnerable and underserved populations.
Our expertise includes:
- Program and policy analysis: PHI experts can help you plan and design effective and innovative programs and policies to improve health, using new technological developments such as text message behavior change campaigns, data tracking through phones and personal devices, mass spectrometry testing, and more.
- Evaluation: Work with us to assess which technologies are effective at improving health outcomes, changing health behaviors, and lowering health care costs.
- Disease tracking and monitoring: Improve your disease surveillance and screening through the use of innovative technologies.
- Online outreach and dissemination: Connect with the public health community online, using our innovative communications platforms.
HOW CAN WE WORK TOGETHER? SEND US AN EMAIL.
if($topic['resources_tools']) : ?>
Resources and Tools
- Community Health Centers and Telehealth: A Cost Analysis Report & Recommendations
- Leveraging Mobile Technologies to Promote Maternal and Newborn Health
- Saving Lives with Multipurpose Prevention Technologies: Turning Ideas Into Solutions for Sexual and Reproductive Health
Mei Wa Kwong
Center for Connected Health Policy
Center for Innovation and Technology in Public Health
Center for Technology and Aging
PHI Design Center
Here's How We're Making a Difference
Building an Online Learning Community of Engaged Health Practitioners
Our online workshops and webinars unite organizations, communities, and individuals in conversation about the public's health. Our first Dialogue4Health Web Forum, back in 2008, was born from months of planning, deliberation, design, and testing. Now with years of experience behind us and an international community of practitioners, policy makers, researchers and activists at our side, we have a jam-packed calendar of live events, social networking, and an ever-expanding resource library.
Our presence and our platform are growing immensely, but our purpose remains true to our first forum: we are devoted to connecting the practice of public health to partners in other sectors who have the power to deeply influence health outcomes. Today, we've hosted over 200 Web Forums with over 44,000 attendees.
Expanding Telehealth Services in California
Recommendations by PHI’s Center for Connected Health Policy became the blueprint for California’s Telehealth Advancement Act of 2011. The act removes barriers, allowing the use of digital technologies to deliver a variety of health services. This can speed treatment for patients, eliminate the need for patient travel, improve communication among providers and lead to better care at a lower cost.
PHI Wins U.S. Obesity Data Challenge
How can data and communications help communities reverse the obesity epidemic? In August 2015 HealthData+, a partnership between PHI and Live Stories, won top prize at the U.S. Obesity Data Challenge. The HealthData+ tool is a simple, curated dashboard to help health officials tell a powerful story about the root causes of obesity. The dashboard provides customizable data visualizations at the national, state, and local level as well as an interactive map, national benchmarks, and written content to contextualize the data.