Accounting Assistant I
Posting Number: #1015
Position Title: Accounting Assistant I
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Oakland, CA
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
Reporting to Deputy Director of Finance – Accounts Payable, the Accounting Assistant I will perform a variety of accounts payable functions including data entry, filing, preparation of checks for mailing, review of receipt documentation, and other duties as assigned. The Accounting Assistant I will help maintain the Accounts Payable vendor files as well as other duties as required.
Essential Duties and Responsibitlites
- Daily data entry of vendor invoices, employee reimbursements, utility bills, rent payments, and other payment requests.
- Manage the payment request inbox. Track and report on status of payment requests.
- Responsible for verifying the accuracy of the entered data and matching and mailing related supporting documents to the organization’s weekly check run.
- Set up new suppliers.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Payable vendor and employee reimbursement files.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Up to two years of related accounting, administrative, or data entry experience.
- Good computer skills including proficiency with data entry and basic office programs including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Must be able to perform filing duties.
- Good communication skills including phone and email response to inquiries.
- Good troubleshooting skills.
- Creative and resourceful.
- Independent thinker.
- Trustworthy and dependable.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Can interact well with colleagues.
- High school diploma is required. College degree or some college in Business or related field is preferred.
- College courses in accounting is preferred.
Thank you for your interest in working with us at PHI. Should you have any questions regarding this job opportunity, email our hiring team at Recruitment@phi.org. We look forward to hearing from you!
The Public Health Institute is proud to be an EEO/AA employer. We recognize the value of having a staff that brings a wide range of perspectives to this work based on language, ethnicity, race, gender, socio-economic background, political beliefs, sexual-orientation and disability. We are committed to maintaining a diverse, multicultural working environment and particularly support applications from individuals with lived experience in the communities we seek to serve.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.