Business Development Specialist
Posting Number: #184-21
Position Title: Business Development Specialist
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is currently accepting applications for the position of Business Development Specialist (BDS) to support the PHI Central Development Team. The BDS will be a seasoned development professional with a strong acumen for proposal writing and coordination. The BDS will additionally bring robust experience for business development in the government sector with direct experience responding to federal and state solicitations in the public health sector. Working closely with the Director of Development and other members of the Development Team, the BDS will primarily support PHI with Federal and State solicitation proposal responses. This role requires an entrepreneurial spirit, good writing skills, time management skills, and ability to multitask.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Research and assess new funding opportunities (especially federal and state) and support a capture planning process that aligns with PHI’s development strategy and overall goals and mission;
- Assist Director of Development in managing the PHI pipeline, including the following: identifying new funders, vetting new opportunities via desk research and funder dialogue (as applicable); tracking funding opportunities through Salesforce and other management tools; and provide input on pursuit decisions;
- Expertly prepare compelling funder communications including letters of intent, proposals, and funder correspondence;
- Participate in fund development and external relations meetings;
- Monitor long-term trends in the public health and global health development space and in PHI’s technical areas of interest. Advise programs and PI/PDs on pipeline and messaging in light of those trends;
- Perform capture/proposal technical support, including establishing relationships with funders, PI/PDs/Program Teams, potential partners, potential consultants/staff, gather operational information and bid context, and analyze the competitive environment for considering PHI’s differentiators;
- Write sections of, or complete, technical proposals and support the overall proposal coordination process of federal/state proposals as well as the development and drafting of all sections in a government solicitation;
- Coordinate development of new materials and templates, and support the team to update business development materials and templates as well as corporate capability statements;
- All other duties, as required.
- Minimum of five (5) years of professional proposal writing experience in response to federal and/or state solicitations. Robust experience across a variety of government contracting/award mechanisms and familiarity developing/reviewing budgets for federal/state awards.
- Prior experience and demonstrated success in proposal development for federal and state donors required, preferably in public health/global health sectors.
- Strong editorial sensibility and skill set – must have high interest and tenacity in writing and editing proposals and business development materials.
- Highly motivated self-starter with ability to embrace a spirit of entrepreneurship.
- A passion for people, health equity, and the mission of the Public Health Institute.
- Excellent organizational skills, with the ability to meet deadlines under pressure and manage multiple tasks and competing priorities.
- Strong computer skills and ability to learn new systems easily; proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Familiarity with Salesforce is desirable, though not required.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience cultivating new foundation relationships.
- Willingness to support others work when needed, strength as a team player.
- International development experience related to global health in Africa, Asia, Latin America, or Eastern Europe preferred but not required.
- A Bachelor’s degree in public health, development, business, or a related field is required.Desired Qualifications
- Master’s degree is preferred.
This position is a time-limited position that is expected to last one year, and has the potential to be a fully remote position due to coronavirus shelter-in-place policies and county ordinances.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.