C/NET Solutions Software Support Specialist
Posting Number: #162-21
Position Title: C/NET Solutions Software Support Specialist
Closing Date: Until Filled
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
The technically savvy Cancer Registrar/Certified Tumor Registrar will join our C/NET Solutions Support Team in providing Cancer Registry and Technical Support for our customers using the CNExT and Cancer Alert (CAS) software applications. The position provides CNExT and CAS functions usage instructions and documentation as well as software testing and technical support for the applications.
This position reports directly to the Division Director. This position provides a full range of C/NET software training and support to customers including tasks such as testing of software, customer training, writing documentation, and various types of non-routine communications with customers and staff as required. The Technical Assistant Specialist III must show proven analytical and problem-solving abilities as well as the ability to develop specifications for data conversions and updates, work with multiple layers of network and application infrastructure, and the ability to write SQL scripts. This position supports C/NET Solutions and our customers by providing training to new support staff, leading projects requiring a high degree of technical knowledge and the use of helpdesk systems.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Cancer Registry Usage and Software Support to Users of CNExT and CAS Software
- Provides support to Cancer Registrars and IT staff on the use of CNExT and CAS software.
- Evaluates customer support requests to determine appropriate responses and solutions to the request.
- Performs Project Management duties and tracking of projects when working on projects with customers.
- Works with customer IT staff to install or update CNExT and/or CAS software.
- Assists customer and customer IT staff with troubleshooting of network and database issues as well as any computer-related issues impacting the CNExT and CAS software.
- Assists customer IT staff with assigning user access/permissions in CNExT and on the network.
- Creates or updates support requests in the helpdesk system, including summarizing information and outcomes obtained during phone calls and/or web sessions and notes any follow-up activities that may be required.
- Tracks tasks and tickets assigned to him/her from start to finish.
- Identifies potential software bugs or issues and reports to appropriate C/NET Solutions staff.
- Documents resolutions for all reported support requests.
- Assists the customers with problem resolutions by troubleshooting and walking through resolution with the customers.
- Provides CNExT and CAS software training to users.
- Assists customer IT staff with troubleshooting SQL server issues related to/impacting CNExT and CAS.
Software Testing Support Functions
- Participates in software testing to ensure quality performance of the software program.
- Provides appropriate documentation of any problems found to programmers.
- Provides end-user support, by providing Cancer Registry guidance, CNExT and/or CAS software answers and technical assistance for resolving potential technical issues.
- Writes e-newsletter articles as assigned or voluntarily submits ideas and articles.
- Provides content for the customer and public websites.
- Identifies the needs of users of CNExT and CAS software and provides input to applicable staff.
- Writes SQL queries as needed.
- Participates in continuing education classes for the purpose of self-education as it relates to job duties.
- Trains less experienced technicians and provides information to other technicians.
- Conducts training courses, user meetings, and attends special conferences on behalf of C/NET Solutions.
- Updates contact information for users in customer communication and helpdesk applications.
- Provides new ideas and suggestions to improve company-wide systems and productivity.
- Performs other related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
- Three years of related Cancer Registry experience is required.
- Technically savvy and able to learn and retain technical information.
- Strong computer troubleshooting skills.
- Familiarity with SQL and Access databases.
- Working knowledge of CNExT and CAS software products.
- Understands backup practices and aids customers in restoring SQL and Microsoft Access databases.
- Knowledge of MS Office applications.
- Knowledge of HIPAA-protected health information guidelines and practices.
- Knowledge of Health Informatics, Health Information Management or Cancer Registry.
- Ability to learn and utilize supporting programs such as EditWriter, FixNotes, and any others used by C/NET Solutions.
- Active Certified Tumor Registry (CTR) credential or an associate degree in information technology or cancer registry is preferred.
Job-related skills, including language, mathematical and reasoning (analytical) Skills:
- Good customer service and communications skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Good mathematical and analytical skills.
- Ability to assess, troubleshoot and resolve software problems and make recommendations for procedures to correct problems, often under stressful and time-sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle several tasks and special projects with competing deadlines.
- Strong time management skills with the ability to prioritize demands.
Intellectual, creative, and/or communication abilities:
- Excellent oral, written and presentation skills.
- Creative, resourceful, and persistent.
- Strong interpersonal skills. Can interact well with peers, other individuals, and associates.
- Ability to communicate well with customers at all levels of computer literacy.
- Perceives the goals and needs of the overall operation from both the central and hospital registry’s point of view.
- Independent worker who requires little guidance.
- Highly motivated self-starter.
- Willingness to learn information technology as it applies to this position.
- Certified Tumor Registrar preferred.
- Knowledge of national/state cancer registry practices and procedures preferred.
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position.
- The schedule for this position is Monday to Friday 8:00am-5:00pm PST.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.