Posting Number: #313-20
Position Title: Communications Manager
Closing Date: Until Filled
Reporting to the TH Program Director, the Communications Manager will have responsibility to establish a comprehensive communications strategy that aligns with the goals and results framework of program. This position will conceptualize and create digital and print collateral to showcase the work of Tracing Health employees and partners. Duties include managing design and upkeep of the website, social media, and collateral required for a strong communications infrastructure; provide consultations and trainings to program team for effective and consistent communication about the work; coordinate with staff, vendors and outside contractors, ensuring that projects are completed on schedule and budget; build communications projects into the overall work of the Tracing Health. The Communication Manager will supervise the program’s communication staff and consultants.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage overall development and implementation of Tracing Health Communications Strategy working closely with the Program Director and Senior Director of Operations.
- Recommend and implement communications/media strategies and approaches to enhance engagement with key stakeholders.
- Work with Communications consultants to assure that Communications Strategy is up to date.
- Oversee the project’s interactive website and collaborate with project staff and leadership team to develop its content.
- Maintain and manage TH website and social media presence and work in close collaboration with project staff to develop content.
- Manage content and processes for monthly and quarterly updates to public website. Provides final sign off of all content posted on TH website.
- Manages contract with web firm that provides technical support of the site.
- Write, edit and proof a wide variety of materials, maintaining consistent TH voice and brand image including program reports, blogs, outreach and marketing collateral, fact sheets, website and social media content, program newsletters and presentations.
- Manage production of digital and print collateral from start to finish, including managing vendors and consultants as needed.
- Provides editorial review of TH related content in project based materials to assure appropriateness and accuracy of messages.
- Identify key audiences related to TH project goals and craft targeted messages via email marketing campaigns, materials, presentations, and social media to reach them.
- Craft key message points, designing PowerPoint presentations, and/or modifying graphics.
- Coordinate with program staff and partners on activities to increase and enhance TH visibility and value to target audiences.
- Develops and maintains broad knowledge of TH activities.
- In coordination with Senior Director of Operations, contribute to writing, editing, and publishing of TH Annual, Semi-annual Progress Reports and other deliverables.
- Manages, produces, and distributes TH annual report.
- Participate in development of novel and proactive media and outreach engagement efforts that support and enhance the work of TH and its participants.
- Regularly review new and emerging communications/marketing tools, approaches and resources to keep abreast of best practice, data and trends.
- Supervise work of Communications Intern and external communications firms.
- Write, edit, pitch and place feature stories, opinion pieces and other earned media, including management of press materials.
- Amplify the work and activities of Tracing Health employee COVID-19 activities through earned media, blog and social media posts and targeted communications. Cultivates and maintains relationships with reporters.
- Pitches TH-related stories to reporters; newswire; and responds to media inquiries and makes appropriate referrals to subject experts.
- Provides media training and coaching to staff for media interviews.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Minimum of 7 years of marketing or communications experience, including at least one year supervising staff.
- Proven success designing and executing marketing and communications strategies and campaigns.
- Demonstrated experience with all types of social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.).
- Excellent organizational and project management skills and ability to meet deadlines.
- Must be able to think analytically and strategically.
- Capable of working well as part of a team as well as independently.
- Possess excellent verbal written communication skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with computer technology (including Microsoft Office suite, virtual meeting platforms and databases) and web content management systems.
- Understanding of how COVID-19 affects specific vulnerable populations and under-resourced communities, and appreciation of the emerging impacts of COVID-19 on healthcare systems, public health departments, and government agencies.
- This is a Remote-CA, time-limited position that is expected to last until approximately 08/31/2021.
- This is a Full-Time Position.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.