Posting Number: #072-21
Position Title: Coordinator
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Oakland, CA/Remote (Oakland is preferred)
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
The Coordinator will provide administrative, clerical, technical and systems support to the clinical research administration and agreements administration for the Office of Research Administration and Agreements (ORAA) in service to PHI programs that rely on outside parties to perform and implement programmatic activities consistent with the PHI mission; contribute to the work of the ORAA Team to structure workflows and monitor risks in outside party agreements to best support the integrity and sustainability of PHI.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
ORAA Team Support:
- Update and maintain databases with real-time data about outside party agreements, supporting program needs and central administrative needs including satisfaction of informational requests for managerial and operational functions
- Support drafters with set-up and maintain electronic agreement files, ensuring complete documentation for outside party agreements
- Perform archival search and program inquiry-based information gathering in support of agreement characterization and drafter preparation needs
- Perform and update debarment and suspension checks and keep records of these checks
- Create, dispatch, maintain and close purchase orders in PHI’s ERP system
- Liaison with ORAA team and PHI IRB, as necessary, for review of reports and notices provided under agreements and contracts
- Distribute agreements and amendments to outside parties
- Edit documents, re-distribute and update agreement records as needed
- Perform above duties with general processing responsibility for the execution of documents and distribution of fully-executed documents to all relevant parties
- Assist in distributing annual sub-recipient monitoring letters to outside parties; track responses in database and follow-up as needed
Subject Matter Expertise:
- Support the analyze root causes of user issues in ORAA and Salesforce systems and modules that support the ORAA Team for engagement with the technical support expertise and resolution through improvements in user practice
- Serve as liaison to Grants & Contracts Team and Programs with respect to outside party agreements and contracting issues that require cross-department coordination and expertise
- Provide technical support in tracking and implementing solutions to Salesforce and ORAA system issues
- Develop an understanding of basic drafting practice and contribute to the preparation of agreements such as but not limited to program-specific assignments of serial agreements and/or minor amendments presenting one or more elemental changes amenable to modeling on prior existing content.
- Participate in routine meetings of Agreements Team to monitor and support workflow
- Respond to phone and email inquiries from internal and external customers as appropriate
- Prepare and proofread correspondence
Training Support to the Agreements Team:
- Provide user training in PeopleSoft for ORAA colleagues
- Provide process training in purchase orders, coordinating engagements with specialist preferences and workflow burden
- Support review and signature of agreements in accordance with policy and signature matrix
- 5 years of administrative, scheduling and clerical experience
- AA degree or two additional years of related experience
- Demonstrated experience with ERP systems
- Must be flexible with the ability to multitask and prioritize work
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to handle multiple tasks with a high degree of attention to detail and accuracy
- Excellent problem-solving ability, analytic and critical thinking skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to provide excellent customer service
- Ability to work independently and to work effectively as a member of a team
- Ability to tactfully communicate with all levels of personnel
- Sound judgment and discretion
- Excellent computer skills, including intermediate Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint); Salesforce; and PeopleSoft or other ERP
- Proficient in clinical trial industry terms and key compliance requirements to support program and contractual requirements
- Knowledge of implications of IRB reliance and OHRP and other regulatory requirements for human subject protections in research
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience in the clinical trial industry
- Experience preparing purchase orders, verifying specifications and prices, obtaining recommendations from suppliers for substitute items, and obtaining approvals from requisitioning business units
- CITI Program Training is ideal
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.