Data Operations Lead
Posting Number: #224-20
Position Title: Data Operations Lead
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Oakland, CA or Sacramento, CA (Remote until January 2021)
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is looking to hire a Data Operations Lead to support and lead operational data projects as well as assist in the creation, development, and deployment of data platforms for the Tracing Health Program (THP). Specifically, the position supports two technology initiatives of the tracing health program: 1) Technology Incubator – respond to the needs of the organization by supporting the development and deployment of applications as well as platforms needed for contact tracing based on the unique technology portfolio of the clients. 2) Data Operations (DataOps) – respond to the challenges pertaining to the requirement of the clients by supporting the collaborative development of data operations and related dataflows for the clients.
As a DataOps lead, the incumbent is expected to lead by example for other Dataops associates by performing data analyses and documenting processes to effectively meet the needs of various clients. Additionally, the incumbent will support, anticipate, and assist various departments in making sure data operations are successfully carried out in a timely fashion. The incumbent will provide support for adoption of intelligent systems, advanced analytic models to improve the communication, integration, and automation of data flows depending on the specific client. The incumbent will utilize experience in business process improvement to increase efficiencies in data collection, data quality, and data use by utilizing proprietary database management solutions when appropriate. This position requires someone who takes initiative, has great skills in problem-solving, data analysis and communication, and most importantly can leverage those skills to support internal and external clients.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the development of database solutions to store and retrieve data information
- Leads and provides appropriate guidance to other DataOps team members as part of a matrix organizational team set up
- Support and configuration of information systems to ensure functionality
- Create plans to deploy software and provide documentation for various platforms in those areas
- Build, optimize and maintain conceptual and logical database models
- Create conceptual and logical data models and flowcharts required by various groups in the program
- Optimize new and current database systems, and develop documentation for security and backup procedures
- Provide operational support for existing and future Management Information Systems
- Provide training, support, and instruction to various groups in the program
- Minimum 5 years of experience in data analysis, quality control, and operational support activities
- Bachelor’s Degree in business, business intelligence, management, accounting, economics, statistics, information science or related field preferred. Experience in data science or data analysis will also be considered in lieu of the preferred degree
- Knowledge of project management processes
- Work experience as a Project Manager, Data Scientist, Data Analyst or similar role
- In-depth understanding of data collection, analysis and related processes
- Knowledge of data security standards and guidelines
- Advanced proficiency in MS Excel, SAS or R
- Familiarity with SharePoint
- Experience gathering and analyzing system, data and process requirements
- Ability to analyze situations accurately and take effective action
- Excellent leadership, problem-solving skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies in multiple sectors (private, non-profit, academic, governmental)
- Ability to handle multiple activities simultaneously and to effectively prioritize tasks and responsibilities
- Ability to motivate others and work in a team-oriented environment
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position.
- Some travel may be required for this position.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.