Posting Number: #123-20
Position Title: Development Associate
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Oakland, CA
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
Rise Up advances health, education, and equity by enabling girls, youth, and women to transform their own lives, communities, and countries. Rise Up invests in visionary leaders, local organizations, and innovative solutions to achieve large-scale change in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the US. Since 2009, Rise Up’s powerful network of over 600 leaders has advocated for 120 laws and policies impacting 135 million people globally.
Rise Up is seeking an experienced Development Associate to play a vital role in our team at an exciting time of organizational growth and expansion. Reporting to our Manager of Development, Partnerships, & Communications, the Development Associate will support individual fundraising at Rise Up and collaborate closely with Rise Up’s Leadership Council and Executive Director to raise unrestricted funds to expand Rise Up’s impact.
The Development Associate will be a strong systems thinker, writer, and problem-solver possessing the ability to be extremely detail-oriented with stellar organizational, verbal, and written communication skills. Key responsibilities will include researching and cultivating individual donor relationships, coordinating donations and acknowledgments, managing the donor and constituent database, and coordinating donor events.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Coordinate Rise Up’s donor stewardship and cultivation activities and support the implementation of Rise Up’s individual giving strategy.
- Process and track all donations, liaison with fiscal sponsor/PHI on incoming donations, and administer all acknowledgments.
- Serve as the liaison to our Leadership Council and coordinate quarterly meetings, events, and member engagement and recruitment.
- Support the Executive Director’s individual donor outreach by preparing donor briefings, conducting donor research, strategizing on solicitation strategies, and drafting communications.
- Support set-up and build-out of a donor database (Salesforce) and provide ongoing database maintenance, segmenting, and reporting.
- Coordinate logistics for fundraising events, including working with an event consultant for the Annual Breakfast fundraiser.
- Coordinate donor appeals and support communications copywriting and editing of collateral, e-blasts, social media, and other fundraising-related communications.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- At least one year of experience supporting development efforts in the non-profit or global/public health sector
- Experience with individual giving, gift solicitation, and relationship building
- Demonstrated ability to set goals strategically and oversee the execution
- High level of discretion and ethical approach to fundraising
- Demonstrated ability to work with and in diverse communities and cultures
- Strong administration, attention to detail, and organizational skills
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Advanced computer skills in Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Deep commitment to women’s and girls’ empowerment globally
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 10% of the time, both domestically and internationally
- Knowledge of and experience with Salesforce or similar CRM
- Experience with upgrading annual giving levels
- Exposure to major gift portfolios and moves management
- Resourceful and data-driven work ethic
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position based in Oakland, CA.
- This position is eligible for PHI’s full suite of benefits including but not limited to medical, dental, and vision coverage, health care and dependent care flexible spending accounts
We strongly encourage and seek applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, immigrant, bilingual, and bicultural individuals.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.