Digital Communications Associate
Posting Number: #1572
Position Title: Digital Communications Associate
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Remote, USA
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
ABOUT RISE UP
Rise Up, Rise Up works to advance gender equity and justice in education, health, and economic opportunity by partnering with visionary local leaders around the world. We build power with women, girls, and their allies by providing training, funding, and connection to a global network to help them achieve meaningful, lasting change. Rise Up, based at the Public Health Institute, works with leaders in Africa, South Asia, Latin America, and the United States to create a future where all people can thrive. Since 2009, Rise Up’s powerful network of more than 750 local leaders have successfully advocated for 120 new and improved laws and policies impacting the lives of 135 million people in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the U.S.
Rise Up is at an exciting time of growth and expansion—we have a new strategic plan that will maximize the organization’s impact to more effectively support Rise Up Leaders to create large-scale change for gender equity globally, and we recently received our largest gift ever from MacKenzie Scott. As a new member of Rise Up’s diverse team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to our organization’s voice and digital strategy and raise awareness about the importance of advancing gender equity globally.
Rise Up seeks a Digital Communications Associate to join our growing communications team and develop and implement strategies and content to grow our audiences and raise visibility of the impact of our global programming through social media, Rise Up’s website, email communications, and other digital channels. The Digital Communications Associate must have a demonstrated interest and passion for social media to raise awareness of Rise Up and strengthen audience engagement across channels.
This is a remote position.
Full pay range for this position: $26.88 to $38.31 per hour. The typical hiring range for this position is from $26.88 (minimum) to $32.59 (midpoint) per hour. The starting wage is determined based on the candidate’s knowledge, skills, experience, as well as budget availability.
Employment Type: Full Time
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Social Media (40%)
- Help Rise Up build support and visibility on social media (Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, and Instagram) by drafting, strategizing, and curating content, scheduling all social posts, and engaging on social platforms through retweets, comments, and active monitoring.
- Create text and design graphic posts for social media channels highlighting Leader stories, programmatic and fundraising successes, and updates, in alignment with our communications and fundraising strategies.
- Amplify posts from Rise Up Leaders and partners and create social media toolkits and resources to help stakeholders share our work to grow our audiences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Email Campaign and Website Communications (30%)
- Set up e-blast communications in Mailchimp and create design and text elements.
- Contribute ideas for newsletter stories, campaigns, and blogs.
- Publish blogs, updates, and announcements and make edits to WordPress website.
- Collect and analyze data to monitor and improve the effectiveness of communications by compiling digital analytics (social media, e-communications, website).
- Maintain contact management system in Salesforce and Mailchimp, including contact segmentation.
Programmatic Communications (30%)
- Provide editing and copywriting support for Rise Up programs team, including on program launch materials and program impacts.
- Serve as liaison to programs team by staying up to date on upcoming programmatic activities to help address communications needs and fulfill funder requests.
- Support Rise Up Leaders to amplify their voices and leverage and respond to communications and development opportunities.
- Minimum 2 years of professional communications experience (including writing and editing) is required. Experience at a nonprofit, social justice organization, or foundation is preferred.
- Minimum Associate’s degree is required, or you can substitute with two additional years of related experience.
- Relevant digital communications experience, specifically with social media coordination (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, LinkedIn) and website maintenance/support.
- Experience creating content for a variety of social media platforms (including videos and reels).
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work in a fast-paced environment.
- Deep commitment to advancing gender equity globally.
- Experience working in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel 10-20% of the time, both domestically and internationally (when it is safe to do so).
- Experience with Mailchimp, WordPress, and Salesforce.
- Graphic design skills / experience in Canva.
- Experience creating and monitoring digital ads.
- Spanish language proficiency.
- Photo and video editing experience is a plus.
PHI WORKFORCE MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Per the PHI Workforce Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, it is a condition of employment for all domestic based employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they are granted a reasonable accommodation under applicable law.
New hires need to provide proof of full vaccination prior to their start date or apply for an exemption/accommodation within three business days after their start date. Depending on the circumstances, new hires who do not comply with this Policy, or who cannot be reasonably accommodated, will either have their employment suspended or terminated. Candidates who are non-compliant will have their offers rescinded.
Rise Up is committed to advancing social, gender, and racial justice. We value having a team that brings a wide range of perspectives and identities including ethnicity, race, gender, socio-economic background, language, political and religious beliefs, sexual orientation, and abilities. We believe that the lived experiences of our employees and their unique ideas inspire innovative solutions. As such, we especially seek applications from people who identify as Black, Indigenous, People of Color, transgender, gender nonconforming, LGBQ+, and people living with disabilities.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
For further information regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
The Public Health Institute is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Recruitment Team at least 48 hours in advance at Recruitment@phi.org.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.