Environmental Analytical Chemist
Posting Number: #227-20
Position Title: Environmental Analytical Chemist
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Berkeley, CA
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is looking to hire an Environmental Analytical Chemist to work with The Environmental Chemistry Laboratory at the Department of Toxic Substances Control. This individual will perform environmental analytical chemistry to conduct the analysis of persistent organic pollutants (polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), pesticides, polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDEs) and their metabolites, per and polyfluorinated alkyl substances (PFASs), and other chemicals of emerging concern) in human serum for an epidemiological study and other environmental matrices.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Apply complex analytical methods to determine trace levels of environmental contaminants in human samples using GC-/LC-MS/MS. Experience on high resolution MS including GC-HRMS, GC-Q-TOF, and/or LC-Q-TOF is a plus;
- Prepare samples for analysis;
- Maintain and troubleshoot the instrument;
- Ensure that laboratory procedures are adhered to;
- Participate in routine QA/QC activities including data review, modifications to existing SOPs, and proficiency testing.
- Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science or a related field
- 3 years’ related experience
- Experience in trace organic analysis (preferably human blood analysis), solvent extraction, and column chromatography procedures
- Familiarity with data analysis using spreadsheets or databases (e.g., Excel, MiniTab)
- Hepatitis B vaccination
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science or a related field
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position.
- This is a time-limited position and is expected to last one year.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.