Posting Number: #152-20
Position Title: Operations Director
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Oakland, CA
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally.
Rise Up advances health, education, and equity by enabling girls, youth, and women to transform their own lives, communities, and countries. Rise Up invests in visionary leaders, local organizations, and innovative solutions to achieve large-scale change in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the US. Since 2009, Rise Up’s powerful network of over 600 leaders has advocated for 120 laws and policies impacting 135 million people globally.
Rise Up is seeking an Operations Director to oversee Rise Up’s operational, financial, and administrative functions. The ideal candidate will find pleasure in both developing the big picture as well as rolling up their sleeves and implementing Rise Up’s collective vision for operations across over 10 countries globally.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Global Operations (30% of time)
- Lead operations and compliance and drive initiatives that contribute to long-term operational excellence. Design, implement, and improve current business processes, procedures, internal controls and policies to enhance efficiency and effectiveness of domestic and global business practices.
- Drive IT strategy to meet business needs, ensuring that new technologies are planned, vetted before purchasing, and rolled-out with user training to assure successful adoption. Champion Salesforce implementation for operations and administrative functions.
- Represent Rise Up in negotiations with PHI regarding office space allocation, lease agreements, and other vendor agreements.
- Collaborate with Rise Up’s programs leadership and PHI to determine country model and partnership options, as well as onboard and manage staff, consultants and other partners in countries where Rise Up works. This may include, but is not limited to contract negotiations, staffing, office lease, and financial mechanisms.
- Develop Rise Up’s security procedures and process for national and global operations based on PHI’s policies.
- Manage global security consultant and develop scope of work based on current countries and activities.
Leadership, Team Development, and Human Resources (30% of time)
- Oversee and manage Operations, Finance and Administration team functions: lead department meetings and provide direction, supervision and mentorship to department staff.
- Work with Rise Up’s Leadership Team to develop and implement organizational vision, set strategic direction, identify strategic opportunities for growth and development, and represent Rise Up externally.
- Develop and improve internal HR processes, procedures, and systems in accordance with PHI HR policies. Represent Rise Up with contracted employees of record for global staff. Assure compliance with all HR legal regulations.
- Serve as the primary internal HR resource for hiring, onboarding, professional development, and performance reviews. Promote a culture that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Assist the leadership team in identifying and developing talent internally.
Financial management (20% of time)
- Ensure the continued financial viability of Rise Up through sound fiscal management.
- Assess existing systems, procedures, and tools and work with team to develop a comprehensive and efficient financial management system.
- Develop annual budgeting process and report on quarterly variance including both operating and grant budgets and monthly review of actuals to budget. Advise Executive Director on cash flow on a monthly basis.
- Oversee financial forecasting and activity allocations for payroll.
- Liaise with PHI Central on contract and accounting issues, as needed.
- Support the senior management team in decision-making discussions regarding budget development, allocations and modifications.
Contracts and Grants (20% of time)
- Oversee internal and external grants management & administration functions alongside PHI.
- Oversee Rise Up’s systems and processes relating to contracts, payments, and grants; provide oversight and input on process efficiencies, workflow and timelines. Develop templates / instructions and processes for grantee deliverables.
- Identify and manage the relationship with external partners and vendors providing outsourced operational functions which may include office, IT, and security.
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience managing the finance, grants management and administration functions of a high-growth $3-5 million+ nonprofit or philanthropic organization.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field.
- Proven experience scaling an organization and proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within a growing and entrepreneurial organization.
- Ability to bring operational best practices to the organization and take individual initiative to implement operational change.
- Experience managing teams of people using effective staff supervision methods, leadership and coaching skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills including active listening with a growth mindset. Must be able to respond quickly to demands for information and have the ability to communicate and present information in readily accessible forms to management, program staff and external partners.
- Proven ability to manage multiple traditional business functions.
- Highly developed attention to detail with excellent organizational skills.
- Problem solver, results-oriented and ability to deal with complex issues.
- Determine, communicate and execute steps to prevent and solve problems.
- Energetic, open-minded, flexible, highly collaborative, and a team player.
- High proficiency with MS office products (Word, Excel, Access, Power Point and Outlook); experience with PeopleSoft, Salesforce, and Box or similar content management system.
- Advanced degree in Management, Finance, or Accounting. MBA or CPA strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management, accounting, grants and contracts administration, and global operations. Experience working with fiscally sponsored programs is a plus.
- Bilingual written and spoken Spanish/English is a bonus.
- This is s full-time (40 hours per week) position based in Oakland, CA. Telecommuting may be negotiable.
- Once travel is re-authorized by PHI, position may reuired some (10%) international travel.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.