Posting Number: #078-21
Position Title: Payroll Clerk
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Oakland, CA (Remote until September 2021)
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
PHI’s Human Resources team is seeking a detail-oriented, well-organized team player to fill the role of Payroll Clerk. This individual will support the team with reviewing, updating and processing timesheets. They will also provide critical support with HR data updates to the payroll system.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews all timesheets to ensure data is correct and communicates to the team about any issues
- Reviews employees with dual jobs and pay rates ensuring the data is correct
- Enters data related to direct deposits, tax withholding and TS Verifier data into the system
- Creates and maintains all new hire electronic payroll folders
- Assists with record retention compliance
- Provides exceptional customer service to PHI’s 1000+ employees
- Performs other duties that may be assigned by the manager
- High School Diploma
- Minimum of 2 years accounting/clerical experience
- Basic understanding of payroll rules and regulations
- Strong computer skills (MS Excel and MS Word)
- Ability to do standard arithmetic
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Strong customer service skills
- Payroll experience
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position.
- This is a time-limited position expected to end approximately 12/31/21.
- The position is currently remote with the expectation to return to the office in Fall 2021.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.