Posting Number: #076-21
Position Title: Project Manager
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Rajasthan, India
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
Rise Up activates women and girls to transform their lives, families, and communities through investment in local solutions, strengthening leadership, and building movements. Since 2009, Rise Up’s powerful network of over 600 leaders has impacted 135 million people in Africa, Latin America, South Asia, and the US.
Rise Up’s programming is expanding to Rajasthan, building on the success of our work in Maharashtra and Delhi NCR. Rise Up will select civil society and community leaders to participate in our Leadership Accelerator program to build their skills and develop their own strategies to improve the lives of girls and women by improving their access to health, education, and economic empowerment. Rise Up is collaborating with the Children’s Investment Fund and EMpower to fund girl-centered and girl-led movements for change.
Rise up seeks an experienced Project Manager to launch Rise Up’s work in Rajasthan. The Project Manager will work with Rise Up to design, launch, and implement this exciting new initiative. The Project Manager will report to Rise Up’s Senior Manager of India programs in Delhi, India and will be part of the Rise Up team, which is based at the Public Health Institute (PHI), a leader in global health and development for over 50 years headquartered in Oakland, CA.
The successful candidate for the Project Manager position will be based in Rajasthan and bring demonstrable experience in program coordination, a strong background working with teams and partnerships, and strategic thinking to launch this initiative in Rajasthan. Program components include overall program design and management, administration, financial management, coordination, and implementation of programmatic activities including training, provision of technical assistance, and site visits to grantees. The Project Manager will be responsible for on-going documentation and communications with staff, funders, coordinators, participants, partners, and vendors. Project Manager will help design and coordinate this project and help improve outcomes.
The Project Manager will have strong experience working with teams on complex programs, optimism, resourcefulness, strong self-awareness, cultural competence, and emotional intelligence. We look for alignment with our values of excellence, transparency, sustainability, and respect as well as a passion for social justice, and racial and gender equity.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Project Management
- Manage program dissemination, participant outreach, co-interview and help select CSO leaders from Rajasthan, India as Rise Up Leaders.
- Manage all aspects of Rise Up’s virtual Accelerator in Rajasthan, including identifying facilitators and of guest speakers, agenda planning and calendaring.
- Support curriculum development, training materials, and help inform programmatic decisions.
- Coordinate with Rise Up Oakland and India teams in planning and executing training logistics, identification of training sites, workshop materials and topics, travel, lodging and meals for participants and consultants and support in reconciling expenses.
- Ensure sound financial management practices are followed for all aspects of the program.
2. Grantmaking and Technical Assistance
- Manage processes for grantmaking, RFP, and proposal submission.
- Manage grantee selection process, review of proposals and budget, technical assistance, and track grantee successes in collaboration with programs team.
- Conduct site visits to organizations and provides technical assistance as needed.
- Organize quarterly meetings with participants to monitor grant implementation.
3. External Relations & Communications
- Liaise and collaborate with local, state, and national partner organizations throughout the project as needed.
- Strengthen linkages with local networks/ coalitions and represent Rise Up at various platforms and events.
- Develop and sustain strong working relationships with Rise Up Leaders, compile and share resources and provide day-to-day program oversight to in-country consultants in Rajasthan, India.
- Maintain regular contact through email, WhatsApp and phone calls with supervisor and Rise Up staff and communicate any issues or challenges that arise.
4. Monitoring and Evaluation Roles and Responsibilities
- Manage the monitoring and evaluation process throughout the duration of the project.
- Conduct program evaluation activities such as survey implementation, focus groups, or informational interviews, as needed.
- Gather and compile information on public events, and monitor implementation of grantee projects, as needed.
- Track the achievements and success of Rise Up Leaders and share with the Rise Up Communications staff.
- Prepare reports summarizing key activities undertaken, implementation issues/challenges, and planned key activities for the coming months aligned to the annual plan for submission to donors.
- A minimum of 5 years of professional experience working with an international non-profit organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field.
- Currently located in or willing to relocate to the state of Rajasthan, India.
- Demonstrable experience in managing and coordinating projects independently.
- Strong understanding of grassroots gender equality and women and girl issues in the state of Rajasthan and working relationships with key stakeholders and partners working on gender equity issues in Rajasthan.
- Excellent interpersonal communications skills, with the ability to work in partnership with other organizations.
- Ability to work independently and maintain regular communication with a remote team.
- Strong project coordination and organizational skills, with the ability to excel in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with data management.
- Strong administrative, financial reconciliation and financial tracking skills.
- Experience using web-based tools for communication and social media channels.
- Willingness and ability to travel domestically 20% of the time.
- Flexible schedule, allowing for heavier periods of work when needed.
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally as needed.
- High proficiency with MS Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook), experience with Salesforce or other CRM.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work /Public Health or related field.
- Experience with training or group facilitation is a plus.
- Fluency in English is required, and proficiency in Rajasthani (Marwari).
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position.
- The application deadline is March 15, 2020.
- This position is based in Rajasthan, India.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.