Public Health Intern
Posting Number: #1065
Position Title: Public Health Intern
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Remote (Sacramento, CA)
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
Based at the Public Health Institute, the CAMI Health program is dedicated to improving the health and lives of women and their families worldwide. Within women’s health, our focus is developing solutions for complex, systems-level challenges related to women’s reproductive health. Alongside organizations that address individual health by providing direct health services, we operate at a higher level in collaboration with multidisciplinary stakeholders to better understand the underlying causes of health risks and develop impactful, sustainable solutions.
CAMI Health is seeking up to two part-time interns interested in pursuing a career in women’s health, public health, global health, marketing and communications, or the nonprofit sector. The intern will provide project coordination and communications support for CAMI Health’s initiatives, including a leading international women’s health learning network, and liaise with other staff members, consultants, and partner organizations as appropriate. This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring public health professional to gain a wealth of experience by helping to develop and implement key communications, advocacy, and research activities for a leading international women’s health network.
CAMI Health is a global health program based at the Public Health Institute (PHI), an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Help plan and produce learning network webinars using Zoom.
- Help design, curate content, and execute e-newsletters using Constant Contact.
- Website content editing and management using WordPress.
- Blog development support.
- Social media content management.
- Website and social media analytics tracking.
- Interface with program staff and global partners to obtain input on projects and deliverables.
- Support literature reviews, including conducting web searches of peer-reviewed publications, light copy editing, and creation of reference lists (using Zotero).
- Participate in weekly staff meetings, and other ad hoc check-in meetings as needed.
- Related program and communications support.
- Dynamic self-starter, with the ability to work independently as well as collaboratively.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Experience creating and managing content for social media and websites.
- Familiarity with partnership engagement.
- Knowledge of sexual and reproductive health.
- Experience developing communications materials and running webinars preferred.
- Exposure to, and interest in, programs that conduct research and/or advocacy for HIV prevention and/or family planning preferred.
- Enrolled in, or recently completed, MPH, or BA in Public Health, biology, communications, public policy or related field.
- This is a fully remote position, designed to be performed in 20 hours per week (negotiable) through December 2021 with potential for continuation.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
For further information regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
The Public Health Institute is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Recruitment Team at least 48 hours in advance at Recruitment@phi.org.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.