Research Associate II
Posting Number: #063-21
Position Title: Research Associate II
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Sacramento, CA (Remote until mid-to-late 2021)
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
Under direction from the Research Program Director II in PHI’s Cancer Registry of Greater California (CRGC), the Research Associate I (RAI) will support short- and long-term research projects at CRGC’s Research Unit. This will include conducting primary data collection such as contacting facilities and physicians to request medical records to verify patient treatment information, abstracting health-related data, and conducting basic analysis for surveillance data. The RAI will follow standard operating procedures, protocols, and quality controls as required in various research projects. The RAI will also conduct literature reviews and assist with editorial tasks related to manuscript and conference presentation preparation.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Participate in data collection efforts involving either study participants or facilities
- Contact treatment facilities and laboratories to request/verify information relevant for cancer surveillance or research projects
- Obtain, process, and ensure the quality of data collected
- Conduct literature searches as needed
- Assist with a basic analysis of registry data using tools such as SEER*Stat
- Assist research staff with editorial tasks related to manuscript and conference presentation
- Attend project staff meetings
- 2-3 years’ experience in general research and analysis
- Bachelor’s degree or additional 4 years of related experience in lieu of degree
- Background in biological sciences or mathematics is helpful
- Some experience working in a biological laboratory or clinic setting
- Strong attention to detail and ability to complete work with minimal error
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills
- Ability to communicate effectively with study team as well as facilities and study participants
- Ability to work effectively both independently and in small groups
- Strong computer skills required with specific experience with Microsoft Access, Word, Excel, Outlook and the Internet
- Some experience with statistical tools such as SAS, R preferred
- This is a full-time (40 hours per week) position
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.