Senior Payroll Specialist
Posting Number: #1008
Position Title: Senior Payroll Specialist
Closing Date: Until Filled
Location: Remote (Oakland, CA)
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being, and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally, and internationally.
The Senior Payroll Administrator is responsible for all aspects of payroll administration. This includes the supervision of a Payroll Data Specialist. This position is expected to return to a hybrid office model in 2022 with part time in the office and part time working remotely in the Oakland, CA area.
Pay: $77,939 to $96,566 per year. The typical hiring range for this position is $77,939 to $96,566 based on 100% FTE. The starting salary is determined based on the candidate’s knowledge, skills, and experience.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
- Provides supervision, direction and training to Payroll Data Specialist
- Supervises payroll and payroll tax administration and ensures all deadlines are met
- Assist manager with development, implementation and maintenance of payroll procedures and processes
- Handles the Absence Management functions and is the backup person for the Donated Leave administrator
- Ensures the accurate calculation of all payments processed through audit and review of pre-payroll audit reports
- Reviews payroll data, calculations and new hire information including tax information uploaded or entered into the payroll system.
- Ensures timely and accurate processing of all recurring additional payments
- Handles and produces the payroll data to general ledger process as well as the labor distribution process
- Stays current with State & Federal employment law regulations, including FLSA regulations communicating updates to upper management
- Assist manager to ensure consistent payroll and payroll tax system configuration for federal, state and local law and regulation compliance
- Assist manager to ensure timely and accurate payroll and payroll tax data reports and meets distribution deadlines
- Handles the setup of any new tax jurisdictions when new state work locations are established
- Maintains confidential documentation and information
- Ensures data integrity, report writing and analyzing data flows for process improvements
- Writes, maintains and supports a variety of payroll reports or queries
- Handles all general financial, ERISA, and workers’ comp audit reports
- Reviews and evaluates staff annually
- Acts as liaison with IT staff on issues related to company ERP
- Assist manager with system configuration, tests and implementation of appropriate modules (payroll, absence management) for ERP conversions and upgrades
- Liaise with vendors
- Minimum 7 years payroll administration experience
- Multi-state and international payroll experience
- Experience in PeopleSoft, Lawson, ADP, Report Smith, MS Excel and MS Access highly desired.
- Knowledge of State and Federal tax laws and procedures, including knowledge of State and Federal wage and hour law.
- Understanding of HR and accounting principles
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize and plan work activities
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong mathematical and quantitative skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of employees in a professional manner.
- Strong leadership and process improvement
- Ability to manage and respond effectively to large volumes of employee inquiries or complaints via phone, e-mail, fax and correspondence
- Able to plan, supervise and review work of subordinates
- Account Reconciliation
- Bachelors’ Degree required or 4 years of additional payroll experience.
- Certified Payroll Professional certification desired
- This position is currently remote, and is expected to return to a hybrid office model in 2022 with part time in the office and part time working remotely in the Oakland, CA area.
FAIR LABOR STANDARDS ACT (FLSA) STATUS
This position is classified as exempt based on the job duties. However, based on the FTE and salary level of the employee, the employee may be classified as nonexempt.
PHI WORKFORCE MANDATORY COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Per the PHI Workforce Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, effective January 10, 2022, it is a condition of employment for all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, unless they are granted a reasonable accommodation under applicable law. Employees starting on or before February 28, 2022 will need to provide proof of full vaccination up to 6 weeks after their start date or apply for an exemption/accommodation within three business days after their start date. Employees starting after February 28, 2022 will need to provide proof of full vaccination prior to their start date or apply for an exemption/accommodation within three business days after their start date. Depending on the circumstances, new hires who do not comply with this Policy, or who cannot be reasonably accommodated, will either have their employment suspended or terminated. Candidates who are non-compliant will have their offers rescinded.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
For further information regarding Equal Employment Opportunity, copy and paste the following URL into your web browser: http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf
The Public Health Institute is committed to providing access and reasonable accommodation in its services, programs, activities and employment for individuals with disabilities. To request disability accommodation in the application process, contact the Recruitment Team at least 48 hours in advance at Recruitment@phi.org.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.