Summer Intern (Part-Time)
Posting Number: #073-20
Position Title: Summer Intern (Part-Time)
Closing Date: May 7, 2020
Location: Berkeley, CA
Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally.
Berkeley Media Studies Group is a project of the Public Health Institute (PHI) that is committed to helping public health professionals and community advocates engage the news media strategically to advance healthy public policies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The intern’s main responsibilities will be to read and analyze news articles as part of studies examining how different public health issues appear in the news. Projects will likely include analyzing news stories about how topics as diverse as immunizations, housing, and soda taxes appear in the news. The intern will receive training on qualitative and quantitative content analysis methodologies, including how to analyze news articles for content analyses, and procedures for establishing inter-coder reliability.
- Read and analyze news articles as part of content analysis projects.
- Enter results of news article analysis into customized databases.
- Assist the research team with other tasks or projects related to gathering and analyzing data.
- Must be currently enrolled in Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program. (Bachelor’s candidates must be in senior standing by Fall 2020).
- Enthusiasm for public health, media and communications issues.
- Experience with qualitative research, content analysis, and coding is a plus!
- Spanish-language ability.
- Proficiency with doing basic descriptive data analysis and generating charts in Excel, or working with relational databases (such as Filemaker)
- This is a part-time (20-25 hours per week) temporary (3 months) position.
The Public Health Institute is committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of equal employment opportunity. To this end, the PHI will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment and employees are treated during employment without regard to these characteristics.
To apply for any position, you must create an account on the Public Health Institute’s job application site. After creating your account, you may search the open positions and apply for the specific position that interests you. Please note, mailed and emailed applications will not be accepted.
We’re so pleased the Public Health Institute is an organization you would like to work with. Do you have questions about this opportunity? If so, email our recruitment team at Recruitment@phi.org.