Youth: The Truth about Confidentiality
2010 | Download
Confidentiality means privacy. Confidential health care means that information is kept private between you and your doctor or nurse. Your doctor or nurse CANNOT tell your parents or guardians about your visits for:
- Birth control or abortion
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
For your safety, some things CANNOT stay confidential. Your doctor or nurse has to contact someone else for help if you say…
- You were or are being physically or sexually abused.
- You are going to hurt yourself or someone else.
- You are under 16 and having sex with someone 21 years or older.
- You are under 14 and having sex with someone 14 years or older.