Non-PHI Opportunities with PHI Programs: Americorps Vista
At times PHI establishes relationships with outside professional employee organizations and other hiring mechanisms in order to best meet program hiring objectives and needs. While these are not employment openings at the Public Health Institute, they offer excellent opportunities to do great work with PHI programs around the world. When available, we link to those opportunities here.
AmeriCorps Vista Positions
The Center for Health Leadership & Practice (CHLP) at the Public Health Institute is recruiting AmeriCorps members for 12-month, full-time terms.
CHLP serves as the sponsoring organization on behalf of AmeriCorps to recruit, place, and support members within local host sites on the west coast of the United States. Leadership Pathways for the Public’s Health, managed by CHLP, consists of two AmeriCorps VISTA programs that place members within high-need communities working in either COVID-19 or Overdose Prevention.
Vista members working in this content area will help save lives through community-based projects across California, such as:
- Coordinating the distribution of naloxone, the overdose antidote, across county agencies;
- Increasing awareness and adoption of safe prescribing guidelines among clinicians;
- Creating interactive events to address substance use among youth;
- Partnering with local emergency departments to adopt addiction treatment programs; and,
- Developing anti-stigma media campaigns.
Up to 23 Vista service members and two leaders will be placed within organizations and programs that help those who have been most impacted by the social and economic effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. AmeriCorps members support PHI programs and community-based partner organizations working at the front lines of far-reaching and innovative efforts.
Ideal candidates are:
- Interested in starting or pivoting to a career in public health.
- Self-starters who want to work on community-based projects.
- Willing and able to commit to a 12-month, full-time term of service.
Benefits of becoming an AmeriCorps member:
- Access to professional development opportunities including monthly workshops, trainings, and networking sessions.
- Eligible to receive relocation reimbursement, a living stipend, a health benefit plan
- Get the Segal AmeriCorps Education Award and non-competitive federal eligibility upon completion of service.